There's a January polar vortex in the forecast next week, so we've taken it as a sign that we need to prep some warm winter soup. This Italian Wedding Soup recipe is inspired and adapted from the recipe blogger, "The Cozy Cook." This is a great soup to kick off the year with and is packed with colourful vegetables. Garnish it with some parsley, grated parmesan, and a side of your favourite garlic bread. Bon appétit!
If you make this dish, make sure to tag us on instagram! We love to see your posts and interact with you. Stay tuned for more tasty recipes!
1 pound Bump Beef + Plant Blend
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
¼ cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated into a powder
3 cloves garlic, finely diced
1/3 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1 tablespoon neutral oil (reserved for the pan)
1 ¼ cups carrots, diced
1 ¼ cups yellow onion, diced
¾ cup celery, diced
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
8 cups (2 litres) chicken broth
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste.
¾ cup any small pasta noodle like ditalini, acini de pepe, small elbow, even macaroni!
8 oz. spinach
Fresh parsley, roughly chopped
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1) Gently combine the meatball ingredients except for the oil, keeping in mind to not overwork the meat.
2) Roll the meat into 1-inch balls.
3) Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat.
4) Brown the meatballs for 2-3 minutes. The inside of the meatball will finish cooking in the soup.
5) Remove the meatballs and set aside.
6) Add the onions, carrots, and celery and sauté for 5 minutes, until softened.
7) Add the garlic and sauté 1 minute.
8) Add the chicken broth, Italian seasoning, and season with salt and pepper if desired.
9) Bring to a boil.
10) Reduce the heat to medium. Add the meatballs and pasta.
11) Simmer for 10 minutes, until the meatballs are cooked through (internal temp of 165°F).
12) Stir in the spinach.
13) Garnish with fresh parsley and Parmesan cheese and serve!